Club History

A Quick View of SMYC:

South Milwaukee Yacht Club (SMYC) is located between the cities of Milwaukee and Racine, Wisconsin. It is a great jump off point to cruise the waters and western regions of Lake Michigan. More than 60 years of boating heritage is still reflected today in our commitment to family, friends and fellowship. We have a harbor accommodating some 95 boats on a 14 acre site, all of which is wholly sustained, funded and maintained through the efforts of our Club members. Continual development and improvements to the grounds and club house make SMYC a place to visit, relax and catch up with old friends.

Way back When:

November 13th 1950 saw Secretary for State, Fred. Z. Zimmerman approved the go ahead to incorporate the South Milwaukee Yacht Club to "develop and encourage boating, sailing and yacht building. The following October saw Mayor Charles Plotz of South Milwaukee approve lands for the new club opposite the city water plant.

Proud Past:

Club members, entirely through their own efforts and fund raising, have built the Club and its facilities into a thriving boating facility whilst remaining true to the original charter terms.
  • 1952 saw the construction of the original club house.
  • 1967 brought additions of a porch and interior refurbishing.
  • 1971 additions were made to the rear of the club as membership grew.
  • 1989 gave the club a new hall, bar facilities veranda and showers.
  • 1994/5 a new gas dock and additional mooring places with new piers added.
In recent years the club has provided facilities to the South Milwaukee Fire/Rescue Boat ensuring safer and more protected local waters.
  • 2006 saw a new outdoor pavilion and fish cleaning station plus significant landscaping around the grounds and entrance.
  • 2010 the Club installed a mobile boat/travel lift, allowing easy launch/storage capability.